We are offering 20 full-time internship opportunities for a duration of 2 months (equivalent to 4 ECTS credits) in the fields of technology, communication, social sciences, and others, to eligible, committed and enthusiastic students.
Public administration is the bedrock of government, where decisions that affect citizens are made. You can choose to leave. You can also choose to stay and transform the way this is done.
From one crisis to another, Lebanon finds itself today at a crossroad. The country is struggling, whereas historically, it had one of the most prestigious public service in the Arab region. Many Lebanese public administrations were hubs of excellence and an inspiration to other countries: The rocket “ARZ”, the scientific research council, the “Inach”, the cadastre, the port of Beirut which inspired leaders such as Lee Kuan Yew to build Singapore’s port.
Let’s revive this tradition! Let’s re-capture the State: our State.
The internships are designed and planned by a group of USJ alumni currently working in public sector reform at Siren Associates and Siren Analytics in collaboration with USJ faculty members and the Central Inspection.
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN?
- A more thorough understanding of contemporary issues related to public governance and citizen centered approaches.
- Ability to analyze main risks and structural challenges to public governance in Lebanon.
- Ability to comprehend and use relevant indicators and data sources that measure the current state of governance and use international comparisons and benchmarks.
- Situate public governance issues in relation to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in particular SDG 16 (peace, justice and effective institutions) as a catalyst objective.
- Share information, collaborate, maintain networks.
- Deal with rapid and multiple changes, identify your room for maneuver and act accordingly.
- Ability to mobilize around a project, engage dynamically in a team, manage the unforeseen and emergencies, and move forward despite the complexity and uncertainty.
- Open up to new perceptions and reasoning other than your own.
- Develop interest in public affairs and espouse the values of “public service”.
- Become an engaged citizen, committed to state reform, capable of constructively questioning the status quo and making a contribution to better public governance.
– USJ undergraduates who have completed their second year.
– USJ graduate students pursuing a higher degree.
– Both interested in analytics and data-driven decision, with a desire to boost and transform the public sector for the better, with general computer skills and presentation programs.
AND WHEN’S THE DEADLINE?
Applications are open till February 27th 2023 midnight.
Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee. You will be contacted by email or phone call to attend an interview with the selection committee.
The selected students will follow an induction training. They will co-sign an internship contract specifying terms of engagement and expected deliverables. They will then be assigned a coach on site to guide and supervise their work among the group of alumni working with Siren Associates and Siren Analytics . The pedagogical follow-up will be provided by a teacher from the USJ who will co-sign the contract and provide substantive guidance and follow-up as well as validate deliverables.
The internship is set to begin in June 2023, till August 2023.
No worries! You can apply again next year. This initiative is only going to get bigger as it will include more public administrations and universities.